Skip to main content

Before You Go Home

Before leaving Germany, you have to "de-register" at all of the places you registered when you first arrived. Please follow these steps closely; otherwise there will be a lot of unnecessary confusion among the institutions involved and also at the International Office.

Please read this information carefully and complete each step in a timely manner.

Moving out of the student dormitory

Please inform the person in charge of your dormitory as early as possible that you are moving out and agree on a date to turn over the room and hand in your keys:

University Deregistration

Please remember to deregister from the university. You can obtain the application form from Student Services (Room H 022) or from the International Office (Room P 001). You will have to collect various signatures and then submit the completed application to Student Services. Bear in mind that it may take a few days until you have obtained the necessary signatures. You will then receive a certificate of deregistration, which is one of the documents you will need to end your German health insurance policy.

You may deregister at any point after your last exam until the end of the semester. You must deregister before leaving Germany, even if you leave before the semester has ended. Please note that you will no longer be able to view your grades in the LSF system once you have deregistered.

Deregistration at the Residence Registration Office and Foreigner's Registration Office

Before you leave Germany (or move to a different city in Germany) you must report to the Residence Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and the Foreigner's Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde). You can do this just before departure or some time earlier - but it has to be done. The Residence Registration Office will need to see a confirmation ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" in German) from your former dormitory or landlord that you are indeed moving out. If you require special permission to leave Germany ("Grenzübertrittsbescheinigung" in German), the Foreigner's Registration Office will provide you with this document when you deregister there.

Ending Your German Health Insurance Policy

You will need to end your health insurance policy before you leave. To ensure that you are insured throughout the entire course of your stay in Germany, contracts are usually only terminated after you present your certificate of deregistration to the health insurance company. A student contract with TK (Die Techniker Krankenkasse) ends upon the date of deregistration; other health insurance companies may have different terms and conditions.

The university notifies TK of the students who will leave at the end of each semester. The health insurance policies for those students then end automatically on the last day of the semester (either February 28th or August 31st). If you wish to end your health insurance coverage at an earlier date, you must let TK know when you would like to end your policy and submit your certificate of deregistration by February 1st (for the winter semester) or July 1st (for the summer semester) at the latest. In this case, you must plan your departure for January or June and deregister from the university very early.

But regardless of when you want to end your health insurance coverage, you must always submit your RWU certificate of deregistration to TK, even if TK has already been informed by the university.

Since you will also be closing your German bank account before leaving and the health insurance premiums are not usually debited until the 15th of the following month, February's premium will be deducted together with the premium for January, on February 15th. In the case of the summer semester, August's premium is debited together with July's premium on August 15th. If you plan to leave at the end of July and have contacted TK in time, the premiums for June, July, and August will all be debited on July 15th. In any case, please make sure that you have sufficient funds in your account on the payment date.

Closing Your Bank Account

The last thing you need to do is close your bank account. Please inform the bank if you still expect to receive money or if payments are due after you leave Weingarten.