Skip to main content

FAQ Start of studies

Here you will find helpful information for your successful start to your studies. Whether it's about recognition of your previous studies, scholarships or how to get to RWU - we have the answers to your most urgent questions.

If you have a question that is not answered here, you can always contact our Central Student Advisory Service.



A semester is an academic period that usually lasts half a year. At RWU, we offer two semesters per year. This means you can enroll for our study courses in the winter semester or summer semester.

A module is a part of a study course that consists of a compilation of courses, examinations, or other activities and is usually completed in a specific period of time. A module usually has a specific curriculum or course content that focuses on a particular topic or subject area.

Typically, a module consists of a combination of lectures, seminars, and tutorials. A module may also include one or more examinations to test students' understanding and skills.

Modules are usually measured in credits to ensure that they lead to a specific degree. In many study courses, students must earn a certain number of credits in order to graduate. The number of credits included in a module varies by program and educational institution.

ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) is a point system used in European higher education to measure and evaluate student performance. Through the system it is possible to provide a uniform understanding of the requirements of an academic achievement for the recognition of achievements.  ECTS is mainly used in connection with the acquisition of academic degrees and certificates. ECTS measures the number of courses a student has taken to reach a certain level.

At the beginning of studies

Yes, you can receive credit for courses from other study courses and/or from other universities. Please make an appointment with your respective Academic Dean as early as possible. You should bring to this meeting:

  1. an official grade transcript that documents your achievements made elsewhere.
  2. descriptions of the courses you wish to receive credit for (ideally from the module handbook of your previous study course).
  3. the list of subjects for which you wish to receive credit.
  4. the recognition form of the Student Service (under Downloads - "Recognition/crediting of study and examination achievements").


Please note: In order for courses to be credited, they must correspond to the respective courses in your new study course in terms of scope (ECTS) and content.

General information on recognition and crediting can also be found on the homepage of the German Rectors' Conference.

All important information about enrollment and enrollment-related topics such as insurance, documents, next steps can be found here: Enrollment.

To switch to RWU, apply in due time in the RWU Application Portal for the study course of your choice. For your enrollment, the achievements you have already achieved in this field of study will be taken into account. Please enclose these achievements in the form of a transcript of grades. A certificate of enrollment from your current university is also required.

If you wish to continue studying the same subject as at your previous university, please apply for the following semester at our university. For example, if you have already studied 2 semesters at another university, please apply for the 3rd semester at RWU.

If another field of study is your desire, you apply normally for the first semester. As soon as you are enrolled, you can have achievements from your previous field of study recognized. You can find the corresponding form in the download area under Student Administration Office.

When you receive your letter of admission, you will already receive initial information about studying at RWU.

As soon as you have completed your online enrollment in the RWU Application Portal and submitted all documents on time and transferred the fees, you will be enrolled as a student. At the start of your studies, you will then receive your certificate of enrollment and your student ID.

Enrolled students can find the information they need for their studies in the RWU portals. The guide will help you find your way between the portals and it explains which portal is used for what.

Starting in December 2022, students will also be able to find all important documents and information consistently via the online RWU Application Portal and Student Administration Office.

Your SPO (Study and Examination Regulations) describes the procedure and regulation of your study course, you should definitely have read it. You can find the appropriate SPO in the LSF under "My SPO" or on the website under Student Administration Office in the Student Examination Office section.

Train arrival in Ravensburg:

Coming out of the station underpass in the direction of the city center, the bus station is on the left.
Line 1 in the direction of »Baindt« or »Baienfurt« goes via Weingarten (bus platform 4/5).

In Weingarten, change at the »Post« stop to line 6 in the direction of »Dörfle«.
The stop »Hochschule« is only two stops after the stop "Dörfle". It is not necessary to change at the stop "Dörfle", the bus continues after a short break in the direction of the university. Unfortunately, this is not clearly visible in the bodo timetable.

Or: Get off at the »Post« stop and walk to the university (15 to 20 minutes). The University of Applied Sciences Ravensburg-Weingarten is well signposted and you can recognize it by the purple flags. Please do not confuse it with the adjacent University of Education!

On the homepage of our International Office you will find an even more detailed description of how to get to the university.

The Student Examination Office and the Admissions Office are open all year round, including during semester breaks. If the Student Administration Office is closed, the staff can still be reached by phone and e-mail for important matters.

Opening hours
Monday to Thursday: 10:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 14:15 o'clock
Friday: 09:00 to 12:00 o'clock

The opening hours of the individual buildings, laboratories and facilities such as the Technical Operations Office can be found on the page Opening Hours.

Aylin Baur

Examination Office Faculty of Technology and Management, Student Service
Study programs BM, TE/PE, TM/TW, BEM, BPM, BWU, TMO
Aylin Baur

Monika Huber

Monika Huber

Irma Krasovec B.A.

Krasovec, Irma

Anja Mayr

Yasemin Ercan

Fabienne Damasch

Admission Office
English-speaking Bachelor's and Master's programs
Fabienne Damasch

Sandra Gmeinder

Admission Office
Lehramtsstudiengänge, Mediendesign, PEM, UVM
Sandra Gmeinder

Lucia Mengis

Admission Office
Faculty Mechanical Engineering and Faculty Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Lucia Mengis

Marina Schneider

Admission Office
Faculty Technology and Management, Semester & Tuition Fees
Marina Schneider

Emine Kalin

Admission Office
Faculty Social Work, Health and Nursing
Emine Kalin

You can always find information about the introductory events before the start of the semester on our website in the section Start of Studies.


The most important information about fees and dues for your studies as well as contact points for financial support can be found on our website under the menu item Finances.

As a full-time student, you may work a maximum of 20 hours/week during the semester period because of insurance regulations. During the semester break (semester vacation) or during an internship, this regulation is waived.

Please note that if you take up employment during a semester break (e.g. voluntary internship), you will be subject to social insurance as normal. This means that you will be treated as a normal employee for both social security and payroll tax purposes. Therefore, you cannot work as a student trainee during a semester vacation, since the working student privilege does not apply here.

Contacts and contact persons

Yes, you will find all important contacts and contact persons at RWU in the university guide. You can download the university guide via the QM portal. You can find it by using the search function there or by following the link to the university guide.